Goshen High School contact information

Robert McKiernan
Principal, grades 9-12

222 Scotchtown Ave.
Goshen, NY 10924
(845) 615-6100

Goshen Banner
Central School District

Safety, Health & Wellness

School Nurse/Health Office at the Goshen High School

Toni Samuelson
Grades 9-12

222 Scotchtown Avenue
Goshen, NY 10924
(845) 615-6133
Email: toni.iaquezsamuelson@gcsny.org 

Winter is here and so is the flu season!

Flu season is between December to March and peaks in February. Signs and symptoms of this respiratory illness may include a high fever, body aches, chills, cough, nausea and vomiting. If left untreated it could lead to pneumonia, bacterial infections or hospitalization. It is not too late to get the flu vaccine. Protect yourself.


Health Office visit

Students may come to the Health Office for health information, advice, medical questions, illness, medication administration, physical exams and assessments, care of injuries or short rest periods for headache or minor discomforts. Students who do not feel improved or are unable to attend classes will be sent home.


All students may go to the Health Office with permission and a pass/signed pass book from the teacher of the class they are missing unless it is a genuine emergency.

Medications in school

Students may not carry or keep medications on their person or in their locker or athletic bags with two exceptions:

  • Rescue asthma inhalers

  • Epi-Pens

They must have a prescription from the doctor filed in the Health Office giving administration advisory and permission to carry. All other medications including prescription, over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol, Advil, Midol, sinus medications, eye drops, etc., must have a doctor's note and be kept in the Health Office.

All medications must be in each student's own original containers and properly labeled. The nurse will store all medications and dispense from the Health Office as needed. There are no stock supplies so the student must supply his or her own bottles of medication.

Medical care/medical leave from school

The School Nurse will phone parents, when necessary, and assess and administer first aid should a student become ill or injured in school. The nurse will transfer a student to the emergency room via EMS ambulance should a higher level if care be needed or if the parent can not reach the student in a reasonable and safe amount of time. Students will be sent home ill or injured by the nurse with either the parent or a responsible person listed by the parent on the emergency card. Students can not be released to other students to be transported home. Driving students will only be allowed to drive themselves home if assessed to be safe to do so and after notifying the parent and obtaining their permission. In the event that a student is unable to drive, the parent or emergency contact person should bring the child home. The student's vehicle may remain in the parking lot while plans to pick up later are arranged. In some situations, the school may be able to arrange emergency transportation for a child who is well enough to go home.

Medical exemption

Students are required by the State Education Department to participate in Physical Education classes. If not able to participate, a doctor's note with the specific restriction and expected time period of restriction must be clearly stated. Students should report to their PE teacher for each PE class for attendance and receive a written packet to be completed in the library and then placed in their teacher's mailbox. These packets must be done in order to receive credits for the class. PE participation is mandatory to meet graduation credit requirements. Students who have had a medical exemption from PE/sports must have a written clearance to return to participation in their PE class/sport.

Working papers

An application for employment must be filled out with social security number, signature of applicant and signature of parent or guardian giving permission. The form must be submitted with a health certification obtained at the health office. One set of working papers are produced for ages 14-16 and a new set for ages 16-18. A recent physical (within one year) is a requirement for all certificates. Physicals for working papers may be done in the Health Office or by your family physician. For more information, contact the Health Office.

Secondary insurance policy

A limited accident insurance covers students during school hours as well as intramural and interscholastic athletics (also PE programs) and is provided by the Board of Education. This policy only supplements your own health insurance coverage. Please be aware that the school coverage is secondary. If you are injured while in school and have medical expenses, they must be submitted through your insurance. For more information, contact the Health Office.

School sports participation

Students/parents must fill out a sports permission form, health questionnaire, emergency card and have a current physical report (within the last year) on file in the Health Office. All forms must be in the Health Office prior to tryouts or students will not be able to participate.

Accident reports

Any student injured while participating in a school activity should notify a teacher, coach, advisor or nurse immediately, who will then complete an accident report.