C.J. Hooker Middle School contact information

William Rolon
Principal Grades 6-8

41 Lincoln Ave.
Goshen, NY 10924
(845) 615-6300

C.J. Hooker Middle School
Central School District

Safety, Health & Wellness

School Nurse/Health Office at the C. J. Hooker Middle School

Nancy Moore-Ellefsen
School Nurse
Grades 6-8
41 Lincoln Avenue
Goshen, NY 10924
(845) 615-6314
Fax: (845) 615-6313
Email: nancy.ellefsen@gcsny.org

NY State Department of Health Immunization Requirements

If you do not provide proof of immunization during registration, the school nurse will be in contact with you shortly after your child enters school. If you do not have insurance, there is a FREE immunization clinic available to all residents. Please call the Orange County Department of Health for more information at 845-360-6587. Appointments are required.

IF YOUR CHILD’S REQUIRED IMMUNIZATIONS ARE NOT RECEIVED BY THE SCHOOL WITHIN THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF THE START OF SCHOOL, YOUR CHILD WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND. The only exceptions to this are if your child has a medical or religious exemption from receiving immunizations. Medical exemptions need to be updated each year.

  • All entering 6th graders require a total of two varicella/chicken pox immunizations or proof of immunity and one TDaP immunization.

  • Beginning Sept. 1, 2016, students entering 7th and 12th grades must be vaccinated against meningococcal disease in order to attend school in New York State.

If you have questions please call your school nurse’s office or your doctor.

NYS Screening

By New York State Law, all students in grade 7 and all new entrants into the school district MUST have a recent PHYSICAL EXAMINATION done by their doctor or by the nurse’s office. New students are also required to show proof of immunizations prior to entering school.

Students are screened in school for vision, hearing and scoliosis according the New York State mandates. Parents/guardians will be notified of any findings on the screening that would require medical follow-up by their family doctor. The state mandates are:

  • Vision screening – All new students of any age plus grades K, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10

  • Hearing screening – All new students of any age plus grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 10

  • Scoliosis screening – Grades 5-9

We make every attempt to keep students in class for instruction time. Scoliosis screening is performed during Physical Education classes.

Health Office visit

Students may come to the Health Office for health information, advice, medical questions, illness, medication administration, physical exams and assessments, care of injuries or short rest periods for headache or minor discomforts. Students who do not feel improved or are unable to attend classes will be sent home.


All students may go to the Health Office with permission and a pass/signed pass book from the teacher of the class they are missing unless it is a genuine emergency. If it is determined that a child should be sent home, arrangements will be made through the Health Office. Parents must report to the Health Office to sign out and pick up his/her child in the event of an illness during the school day. Students are not to call home to arrange their own dismissal.

Medications in school

Students may not carry or keep medications on their person or in their locker or athletic bags with two exceptions:

  • Rescue asthma inhalers

  • Epi-Pens

They must have a prescription from the doctor filed in the Health Office giving administration advisory and permission to carry. All other medications including prescription, over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol, Advil, Midol, sinus medications, eye drops, etc., must have a doctor's note and be kept in the Health Office.

All medications must be in each student's own original containers and properly labeled. The nurse will store all medications and dispense from the Health Office as needed. There are no stock supplies so the student must supply his or her own bottles of medication.

New York State Education Department regulations for internal medication, including aspirin:

  • Medication must be brought to school by a parent/guardian.

  • Medication must be in the original container from the pharmacist.

  • School must receive written instructions from the M.D. and parent.

  • Written permission for the school to administer medication must be submitted by the parent/guardian. You may use the form in the Health Office for your convenience, or submit a written note from the M.D.

  • Medication will not be administered unless the above regulations are followed. This includes antibiotics, cough medicines, etc.

  • Students are not permitted to carry their own medication, with the exception of an inhaler, upon written orders from a physician. All other medications must be submitted to the Health Office.

  • Parents are responsible for picking up all meds on the last day of school. Medication that has not been picked up will be disposed of properly immediately following the last student day of attendance.

  • Please notify the Health Office of any changes in your home, cell, business or emergency telephone numbers.

Medical care/medical leave from school

The School Nurse will phone parents, when necessary, and assess and administer first aid should a student become ill or injured in school. The nurse will transfer a student to the emergency room via EMS ambulance should a higher level if care be needed or if the parent can not reach the student in a reasonable and safe amount of time. Students will be sent home ill or injured by the nurse with either the parent or a responsible person listed by the parent on the emergency card. Students can not be released to other students to be transported home. Driving students will only be allowed to drive themselves home if assessed to be safe to do so and after notifying the parent and obtaining their permission. In the event that a student is unable to drive, the parent or emergency contact person should bring the child home. The student's vehicle may remain in the parking lot while plans to pick up later are arranged. In some situations, the school may be able to arrange emergency transportation for a child who is well enough to go home.

Medical exemption

Students are required by the State Education Department to participate in Physical Education classes. If not able to participate, a doctor's note with the specific restriction and expected time period of restriction must be clearly stated. Students should report to their PE teacher for each PE class for attendance and receive a written packet to be completed in the library and then placed in their teacher's mailbox. These packets must be done in order to receive credits for the class. PE participation is mandatory to meet graduation credit requirements. Students who have had a medical exemption from PE/sports must have a written clearance to return to participation in their PE class/sport.

Working papers

An application for employment must be filled out with social security number, signature of applicant and signature of parent or guardian giving permission. The form must be submitted with a health certification obtained at the health office. One set of working papers are produced for ages 14-16 and a new set for ages 16-18. A recent physical (within one year) is a requirement for all certificates. Physicals for working papers may be done in the Health Office or by your family physician. For more information, contact the Health Office.

Secondary insurance policy

A limited accident insurance covers students during school hours as well as intramural and interscholastic athletics (also PE programs) and is provided by the Board of Education. This policy only supplements your own health insurance coverage. Please be aware that the school coverage is secondary. If you are injured while in school and have medical expenses, they must be submitted through your insurance. For more information, contact the Health Office.

School sports participation

Students/parents must fill out a sports permission form, health questionnaire, emergency card and have a current physical report (within the last year) on file in the Health Office. All forms must be in the Health Office prior to tryouts or students will not be able to participate.

Accident reports

Any student injured while participating in a school activity should notify a teacher, coach, advisor or nurse immediately, who will then complete an accident report.